Mediterranean Forum for Early Childhood Music Education and Musical Childhoods
1st International Conference, 20-22 April 2018
European University of Cyprus
The C.C.R.S.M. Cyprus Centre for the Research and Study of Music organizes, in collaboration with the CAPPE Cyprus Association of Private Preschool Education and with the support of the Department of Musical Studies of the European University of Cyprus, the 1st International Conference of the Mediterranean Forum of Early Childhood Music Education and Musical Childhoods from 20-22 April 2018,. The Conference programme also includes educational and family concerts for schools, children and families.
Springboard for the establishment of the Forum has been the distinguished Erasmus+ Key Action 2 Strategic Partnership Project MusiChild Early Childhood Music Education in the Mediterranean; raising children’s musicality, evaluating music learning and enabling teachers’ preparation (2014-2016) designed and coordinated by C.C.R.S.M. with academics and professionals’ participation from around the Mediterranean region. The project has been selected as best practice Erasmus+ project for the school sector and was presented at the 30-Year Erasmus Celebration Conference in Bonn, Germany in May 2017. The Mediterranean Forum for Early Childhood Music Education and Musical Childhoods constitutes an initiative of the non-profit independent academic organization C.C.R.S.M. Cyprus Centre for the Research and Study of Music (www.ccrsm.org.cy) with the collaboration of Mediterranean-based distinguished academics and practitioners and an International Circle of Advisors.
The Conference marks the establishment of this pioneering and much needed music education initiative in the Mediterranean region, the Mediterranean Forum of Early Childhood Music Education and Musical Childhoods. Attendance at the Mediterranean Forum of Early Childhood Music Education and Musical Childhoods International Conference 2018 provides an attendee with professional membership of the forum for the year 2018 .
Therefore Special certificate of Forum membership will be issued.
The Forum aims to build inclusivity, sustainability, value and excellence in the field of music and child learning and teaching, musical communication among different sections of society and music education connected to children’s music learning and development. It aims in supporting music education in different regions of the Mediterranean basin and beyond and creating wider access to more relevant, higher quality music education and musical enculturation. It stress the importance of an inclusive music education and teacher music training around the region and invites international research and informed practice dialogue, exchange, comparative thinking and collaboration.
The Forum aims to:
- share and promote current ideas in early childhood music education that are based on research and best pedagogical practices internationally;
- discuss comparatively the various ways in which children participate in their own musical cultures and practices;
- support music education in different regions/nations/communities of the Mediterranean and beyond;
- update Mediterranean musical traditions, heritage, worlds, styles and practices with more relevant, effective, child centered and human agency focused music education practices and research findings;
- reveal the multidimensional Mediterranean worlds of young children and their musical enculturation; compare and discuss similarities and differences in music transmission across cultures;
- improve informed music education practices, music instruction and teacher training;
- expand the development of research in the fields of music, the young child and learning and teaching in the region by promoting discussion, reflection, project development and collaboration;
- create wider access to better quality music education;
- contribute to the musical well-being and development of the whole child
- contribute to more joyful musical lives for the child, the teacher, the adult and all stakeholders involved.